Saturday, July 17, 2010

I Choose You Calexico

I spent all day today at the Vancouver Folk Fest, and it was definitely an enjoyable experience, and definitely a different one from the other Folk Fests that I have been to, namely in Calgary in Edmonton. I would have to say that the set up at Jericho Park was definitely better than the set ups in Edmonton and Calgary, though all in all it definitely felt alot smaller than the other Fests back east. I'm sure there's reasons for it, and even the lineup seemed a bit lighter than others, though they are pretty up front in their festival guide about funding cuts and whatnot so I can see why it may not be as stacked as other Fests. I think that there is some room for growth though and I would love to see that happen while i'm out here. Regardless, I spent the day in the sun, and enjoyed some super amazing music. Highlight of the day though was definitely seeing Calexico, Bahamas and Alex Cuba play together. While it started off awkward as Cuba ended up being a bit late, everything flowed very smoothly and it was an enjoyable workshop through and through. I would like to note as well that Calexico are probably one of the best group of musicians I have ever seen. Those guys can pick up on any song and add their own little touches, and sometimes huge touches to the songs.

The best though was that they all played He Lays in the Reigns, from the Calexico and Iron & Wine EP, which is a gorgeous song, and as they played it I got goosebumps. On my legs and arms. In the already very toasty morning sun. If that's not proof of an amazing song then I don't know what is. Hear for yourself here.



So all in all it was a great day, full of sun and hangouts with my best friend, and seeing other great musicians such as Deep Dark Woods, Timber Timbre, Playing For Change, Matt Epp, Crooked Still and closing out the evening was the delightful Sarah Harmer, who has once again stolen my heart. If you are unfamiliar with her, she is a fantastic singer songwriter and one of my favorite Canadian musicians easily. Enjoy a bit of her tunes as well, a sun burnt gift from me to you.

No comments: