Monday, June 28, 2010

Music Waste

I suppose while the memories are still somewhat fresh in my mind, I should write a little bit about my Music Waste experiences. Well you see, every year here in Vancouver they have a little indie music festival called Music Waste, over a span of many days at lots of different venues, art spaces, dive bars and pubs and whatnot, and lots of people come together for this wonderful celebration. As I was just moving to Vancouver I figured maybe I could see some sweet bands and meet some amazing people if I volunteered and did doors, as I so often do.

So the first night I volunteered at Zoo Zhop, and it was super awesome. It's a little record shop, with a bit of random other cool record shop things, as well as an artists co op type deal. So to sum it all up, it is a great little hang out of really talented people. I did doors for most of the night, which consisted of me sitting on a chair with a cashbox in a hallway and making sure not too many people were drinking out front. Most of the bands were pretty solid I would definitely say. Bleating Hearts had the best use of a french horn that i've heard since Fractal Pattern, Half Chinese were noisy rock awesome, Collapsing Opposites were as pop rock as ever and sadly were playing their last show, but my personal favorite was Canaries. This tight little 3 piece played screechy dance rock, with tinges of post hardcore awesomeness. They were pretty heavy on the synths, as well the drummer liked to bust out the trumpet from time to time. Everyone was moving and while the recordings are only ok, you definitely need to see them live.



The second night I worked doors with sweet local promoter Lynzaii, and we worked it up at Pat's Pub, way down and off East Hastings. All in all it was pretty fun, and even crazier than the first night. I think all in all there was well over 200 people there that night and the local goers were none too happy, but I think most people had fun. Sweet dudes from Edmonton Brazilian Money opened up the night and were stellar as always, as well Apollo Ghosts who closed the night had everyone in the pub, and I do mean everyone dancing. But as always it was Plus Perfect that stole it for me. I did a show with them last year, and they are one of my favorite bands in Canada easily. Always a pleasure and always a great show. Here, watch this video of them playing in fort mac on a deck.



Yes it was definitely a great weekend for music and made some fantastic friends. I'm definitely looking forward to even more adventures here in Vancity so stay tuned.

No comments: