Saturday, September 8, 2012

2012's Picks So Far

I definitely need to go back and actually do a final wrap up for 2011 apparently, but until then I need to keep track of what I've been digging this year so far. There's a pretty solid mix of tunes, from Canada in general and then from all over the place and there have been more than a few that are all that I have been listening to for the bulk of the year. There's some albums I need to dig into with teeth and a fierce grip but for the most part I have a good list of what I think are some standout albums this year. Here's a few of them.

Purity Ring - Shrines



I may be a bit partial to this album as it's two friends of mine from back in Edmonton, but regardless I really love this disc. A lot. It's been the perfect soundtrack to my travels around the city either on bright sunny days, or rainy days, or late at night, or pretty much whenever really. Corrin's tight and crisp beats and Megans gorgeous vocals are pretty much all you need. It's simple but layered, but becomes more dense after every listen.

John K Samson - Provincial



The weakerthans have been my most favorite Canadian band, and probably just most favorite band in general, and I had been waiting for Samson's new album for quite some time. While it doesn't stray too much from what he has done with the band, it does allow for less focus on the instrumentals and more focus on his song writing and soft vocals which are a highlight of any weakerthans album for me. Such a standout disc though and one that's constantly on repeat.

Japandroids - Celebration Rock



When I first heard the above track on the playlist at my work, I was blown away. A new Japandroids? Being played in the store? Insane. After the first time thought I was sold, and the rest of the album is just as good. A tight, concise rock album that blisters all the way through, this has been my go to when I want something super upbeat. Quality Canadian rock, the way it should be.

Torche - Harmonicraft



While I was a bit let down by the new Baroness album, I was pleasantly surprised with how tight the album is and how much it expands upon Meanderthal. I've come a long way from what I used to enjoy in regards to metal and hard rock, but this is right up my alley. Thick dense low end on the drums and bass and grinding guitars, as well as the type of rough but still coherent vocals, this is an album I can definitely get behind and have.

Of Monsters & Men - My Head Is An Animal



This band has pretty much blown up out of nowhere this year and for good reason. I had only heard a few songs from this band last year and forgot about them, but when this album came out I put it in and fell in love. From beginning to end these fine Icelandic folk have put together a magical indie smattering of some of the finest tunes I've heard in a long time. Super catchy, poppy indie rock with dual vocals and intelligent lyrics when you get past the sugary sweetness of the songs. This band deserves all the great things coming their way that's for sure.



No comments: