Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Music, Memories and 9/11

For me music has always played a huge role in my life. I've consumed quite a lot more music than most people I know (though there are definitely people that breathe music more than I for sure), and I have often had soundtracks to my life. There's been certain phases and parts of my life where I listened to one type of music more than others, and then things change and it's on to something else. I've had some tough times as well over the years and my favorite songs have been there for me no matter what.

I've just been thinking the last couple days leading up to today, September 11th, about what I was listening to then and why. You see, on 9/11 now 11 years ago, my grandfather had just passed away and I was taking a week or so off work to just kind of relax as it was a pretty big blow to me. I was woken up by my mom who was going crazy saying that someone had crashed a plane into the World Trade Center. I then spent a good chunk of the morning and day glued to the news watching the craziness that had been happening. Don't get me wrong, I know that there is plenty of injustice around the world and many people die due to the actions of insane people with outrageous agendas, but for that to happen here in North America, it was pretty shocking.

I spent a lot of time that day thinking about what was happening, thinking about all those people and what was going on. It was already a pretty rough time and this continued to blow my mind. Then, I did what I have done so often and wanted to retreat into a structured world, full of soundscapes and the audio escape I generally preferred to what was going on around me. I made a trip to the nearest place that sold music and just kind of headed to the new release section. My purchases for the day were P.O.D.'s Satellite and Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals Life From Mars, and in general I'll probably never forget what I picked up that day.

While I definitely have moved away from the rap-metal stylings of P.O.D. (and heaven only knows why I picked up that album, though I was listening to a lot of Linkin Park still at that time so there's a clue I guess) Ben Harper has always been the kind of musician I like to grab when I'm looking for some nice chill music. That live album has been one of my favorites and I remember walking back from the store, and soaking in some new tunes and enjoying a crisp day much like today.

Music has often been a little more on the escapism side for me more so than movies or books, I love getting lost in good music. I also love good music on a day when it is needed as much as some human comfort, a hug or a "how are you doing?" For all those remembering 9/11 here's a great cover by Ben Harper for those who need something beautiful in their day, enjoy.




No comments: